World News

Trump calls for investigation of New York Times over op-ed 'treason'

Trump calls for investigation of New York Times over op-ed 'treason'

U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday the Department of Justice should find out who penned a scathing anonymous op-ed in the New York Times that has sent shockwaves through the administration.

"We're going to see", said Mr Trump, who was on his way to a rally in North Dakota.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions "should be investigating who the author of that piece was because I really believe it's national security".

McCarthy's piece is a direct response to the author of an anonymous op-ed released by Times, who claims to be "working diligently from within" to blunt President Trump's "worst inclinations", as a member of the "resistance".

The anonymous op-ed published Wednesday in the Times describes an underground "resistance" in the Trump administration actively trying to sabotage the president's agenda.

"I think so, because I think it's national security", Trump said when asked if he wants the DOJ to investigate.

Indeed, the piece seemed written deliberately to send the president down a nasty rabbit hole with rants and recriminations - the exact behavior to which the unknown author objected.

"So they take one person out of thousands", the president told Fox News. "They're not doing us a favor by actively promoting 90% of the insane stuff coming out of this White House and saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%'". Trump said revealing the writer's name was in the interests of national security. If they feel writing this is appropriate, maybe they feel it would be appropriate to disclose national security secrets, too.

"The Times should never have done that, because really what they've done is virtually, you know, it's treason", the president said. "This coward should do the right thing and resign", Sanders said in a statement.

"If I met with Russians, you people would have found out", he said.

Pence blasted the op-ed and the Times in the CBS interview, calling the anonymous author a "disgrace".

He/she identified themselves only as a "White House senior official" (and may have possibly used specific wording to implicate Vice President Mike Pence).

Trump had threatened to sue the Times when he was running for president in October 2016 because of its story about allegations of sexual assault against women.

"With nothing but positive news about the economy and the job market, all of their fears have come true", Borelli told The Post.

Trump has openly criticised and ridiculed Sessions for recusing himself from the Russian Federation probe, but the attorney general has embraced Trump's views on most other law enforcement issues, including leaks from inside government.

Even David Frum, George W. Bush's former "Axis of Evil" speechwriter and a very smart if somewhat doctrinaire "free markets-über alles" conservative, has been looking good by warning grandiloquently about Trump's authoritarianism.