World News

U.S. Spy Agencies Say North Korea is Building New Missiles

U.S. Spy Agencies Say North Korea is Building New Missiles

An initial "field forensic review" shows that the "remains are what North Korea said they were", John Byrd, director of analysis for the U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA), told reporters in South Korea, according to Reuters.

One US source said North Korea appears to be building one or two new liquid-fuelled ICBMs at the research facility on the outskirts of Pyongyang.

A U.S. military transport aircraft on Friday flew the remains from the North Korean city of Wonsan, a first step in implementing an agreement reached at a landmark summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump in June.

Trump last week again thanked North Korea's Kim for returning the remains.

Photographs and infrared imaging show vehicles moving in and out of the facility at Sanumdong, but do not clearly show any advance on missile construction.

Some European intelligence officials do not believe that the Kangson site is used for uranium enrichment, but many USA agencies agree that Kangson is one of at least two secret enrichment plants, according to the Post.

Cutting off oil and fuel to the North would require enforcement primarily by China, which supplies most of North Korea's energy needs, but also by Russian Federation, which delivers some oil to Pyongyang. Recent photos suggested the North Koreans were in the process of dismantling a test engine stand at a satellite launching station, but various analysts warn the gesture is mostly symbolic since tests there were already complete. Some European intelligence officials are not convinced that the Kangson site is used for uranium enrichment.

Joel Wit, a former State Department negotiator and founder of 38 North, a North Korea monitoring project, said it was unrealistic to expect North Korea to stop its programs "until the ink is dry on an agreement".

Satellite photos suggest at least one Hwasong-15 is in production at the site, the Washington Post reported. This will mark a breakthrough in a long-stalled USA effort to obtain war remains from North Korea, but officials say it is unlikely to produce quick satisfaction for any of the families of the almost 7,700 US servicemen who are still listed as missing and unaccounted for from the 1950-53 Korean War.

There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea, ' Trump said in a Twitter post after his historic summit with Kim in Singapore last month. "They have missing, France has missing, Americans have".

"Regime survival and perpetuation of Kim family rule" are Kim's guiding principles, he said. "But even if they are, you still have a nuclear deterrent, so it would still be a huge risk for the U.S.to try to attack".

"I'm afraid that at this point, the United States, the Trump Administration is being taken for a ride", said Sen.

But what about the pledge that Kim signed?

"We have this backward. North Korea is not negotiating to give up their nuclear weapons", Lewis said. "They are negotiating for recognition of their nuclear weapons".

During the previous ARF session hosted by the Philippines, they had no formal talks other than a minutes-long encounter.